Securing your home, living space and valuables has been made easier with Security Door stoppers. These door stoppers prevent picking of locks, break-ins as well as keeping the children from wandering out of the house. This article is focused on bringing you everything you need to know about the Best security door stoppers.
There are three main category of the security door stoppers; the door lock reinforcer, door security bars and door jammers.
Door lock reinforcer: the door lock reinforcer are fixed around the door’s existing lock for extra security against picking of the lock and break-ins. They are mostly easy to install and portable. Before you buy, check if the reinforcer would work for your locks as some may not work for smart locks or horizontal locks.
Door security bars: The security bars is often placed across the middle of the door to hold and withstand force from pushing the door. They prevent burglars from pushing and opening the door. Some are hardware mounted while others are easy to install with pressure mounting for sliding doors, apartment and even traveling. A unique feature of the door security bars is that it’s adjustable to fit the width of any door perfectly.
Door jammers: Door jammers are the most common front door security measure. Mostly made of plastic and steel and placed on the floor not less than an inch from the door at an angle that clasps to the doorknob to stay in place. Door jammers are often pressure mounted to be portable and easy to remove in case of an emergency.
Some factors to consider when securing your door are:
Door design: Search for durable door security equipment made to withstand force not less than 350 pounds. Most security bars are made with sturdy steel and metal. Look for door security equipment with rubber base to avoid scratching and damage to your floor.
Door dimension : The standard door is between 30-36 inch wide and up to 80 inch in length. Before you buy a security equipment measure your doors thickness, height and width. It is safer to search for door security bar or jammers as they are adjustable to fit the doors.
Placement: Check and decide where you will place your door security equipment. Some work inky in hinge doors while others help to protect patio sliding door and hinge doors. Before buying make sure you have checked for where it would be placed, you should also keep the floor type in mind as many door security bars and jammers work on wood and tile flooring, others may not work on floor types such as carpets and linoleum.
Installation: Most door security bar are either pressure mounted, hardware or magnetic. Pressure mounted is by simply bending the bar less than an inch from the door and connecting it to the door knob. It is perfect for travelling because they require little or no installation. Hardware mounted door security bars are known to be sturdy but require professional installation or drilling to keep the jammer or lock in place.
The list below contains the Best security door stoppers you can find.
- Velvet Fabric-Bag Door Stop Interior
This security door stopper works on the hinge. When fixed on the hinge of the door, it keeps the door locked tightly to prevent forced entry. It can withstand up to 500 ibs of force.
- Lightweight as it weighs only 3.7 ounce
- Unique design makes it easily attach to any door hinge.
- The hook is adjustable
- It is child proof
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Keeps the door tightly closed.
- It keeps the door in place without slipping
- It is easy to install and use.
- It is easy to remove in cases of emergency
- No tool is required for installation
- Works on all wooden and meta door.
- The door should not be opened more than an inch when in use.
- BUDDYBAR Door jammer home security door bar
This is the strongest door stopper you can find. The Buddybar has been tested to withstand up to 2,500 Ibs of force. This product has been engineered to leave no room for it to fail you in time of need, it is constructed with far-superior quality and address common points of failure in cheaper door jammers. One thing that separate this product from the others in this category is it’s strength. The 8.2ibs steel door security bar is positioned about 8 inches from the four, then placed on the door knob for easy installation. This Buddybar door jammer gives you exactly what you paid for. It is the strongest home security bar on the market.
- Buddybar has been tested to withstand 2500 ins if force.
- The buddy bar works greatly on carpet, tiles, concrete, wood.
- It would not slip or fall of the door
- It is 8.2ibs of powder coated steel
- It has no plastic part
- Great for homes, dorms, travelling etc.
- It is the strongest one security bar in the market.
- Easy to install in seconds with it’s pressure and steel teeth locking mechanism
- No tool is required for installaction
- Designed to fit most doors by extending from 36” to 51”
- It is a pressure mounted security bar.
- It is heavy and not comfortable to carry for traveling.
- The door jam places an upward force on the knob so the screws on the doorknob will loosen which needs frequent retightening, it also gets loosed with frequent use if the doorknob.
- DEFENDER SECURITY Bronze U 11126 Door reinforcement lock – Add extra high security to your home and prevent unauthorized entry – 3” stop, Aluminum construction Anodized finish
This door reinforcement protects against forced entry. It is designed to withstand 800Ibs of force, this U11126 bronze finish door reinforcement lock helps to prevent door from being kicked in, increasing your home security and keeping you and your family safe. Use on primary entry doors to keep you and yourfamily safe while inside, you can also use them on secondary doors which are back doors and side doors.
- Tamper resistant and child safe due to it’s spring-loaded design
- Easy to install in few minutes using 3” hardened screws.
- It is made with aluminum with a satin finish
- Withstands 800Ibs of force
- It comes in four color finishes to match your door design and be less obvious to burglars
- It comes with a 1 year warranty
- It is a hardware mounted door lock.
- Easy to lock and unlock
- Increases your home’s security and gives your family extra peace of mind.
- It is easy to install
- It protects against lock picking and bumping while in locked position
- It can be used on any door with any thickness
- The included 3” hardened screw make installation super easy.
- Requires pre-drill with 1/8 “ drill bit and Phillips screwdriver
- Chisel maybe required if the door fits tightly against the jamb.
- IDEAL SECURITY BK110W Patio Door security for childproof lock, adjustable 26-47 inches for ventilation
This is the best sliding door security bar, it’s features has been upgraded to suit your needs. As the patio door is the easiest way to break into, this door stopper solves the problem.
- Childproof anti-lock which prevents children from raising the bar and getting outside
- An optional dip behind the saddle
- Visual deterrent
- One-touch adjust
- Made of extruded aluminum( same material used to make cars and airplanes)
- Lightweight and strong
- Protects against potential intrusion when the door is locked.
- No more bending down as the bar is mounted at arm height, you won’t have to bend down every time you want to open the door.
- Mounting the bar in the middle of the door adds as visual deterrent making the bar clearly visible to potential intruders.
- Easy to install
- Easily adjust on any door
- It is a hardware mounted bar.
- You must be careful when using it as it can accidentally fall into a locked position and lock you out.
Prime – line U 10539 lock and Door reinforces and repairs doors, add extra security to your home and adds extra security to your home and prevents unauthorized entry ( stainless steel)
This lock and door reinforcer assists in preventing forced entry. It secures the weak spot of your entry door with a stainless steel lock and lock reinforcer can add additional home security and help you rest easily knowing you have prevented forced entry.
Simply slide the reinforced on to the door and mount it in place with the included screws. It is made to be sturdy and comes in there finishes to match your door’s design and be less obvious to burglars.
- All fasteners needed are included
- The lock and door reinforcer can be used in wood or metal doors with merit cord drive in watches.
- It contains key- in knob lockers deadbolts or combination of locksets with 2 – 1/8 in bore size, a backset of 2 – 3/8 in that are separate from each other by 5 – ½ in from center to center. The width of this door guard is 3 – 7/8 in and it is 10 – 7/8 tall.
- 1 year warranty.
- It is easy to install
- Prevents forced entry
- It serves as an additional home security ( includes door, hate and window hardware, screen – door – hardware.
- Lockbox Over The Door
This is the residential lockdown for home use not the commercial version for schools, churches and commercial facilities. The Night lock barricade for outward swing door is easy to install and use. On a conventional entry door, an intruder can break a door window, reach in and gain access to the door knob lever to open the door, but with the Night lock barricade at the floor level, it is out of reach. It is easy to install by screwing the door lock ½ an inch away from the door on the floor and uses a thick aluminum base plate to keep the door lock in place. It should be installed only on outward swinging doors.
- It can withstand 1100 ibs of force
- Its base plate is 3/8” thick
- Requires at least ½ clearance between bottom of door and floor
- It is made of solid aluminum with anodized finished
- Hardware mounted door lock.
- It is easy to install and use
- Anchored securely to the floor, it uses the strength of the floor to stay firm
- It is easy to lock and unlock
- It is simple and strong
- It is effective and inexpensive
- It us great for out swinging doors
- When used on a carpet, cut out the carpet under the plate
- Brinks 675 – 8 3001 commercial door security bar.
This unit is retractable so you can use it at home or take it when you travel, giving you peace of mind while you are away. It is made with top quality materials and keeps you and your valuables safe.
- It is made of high strength 20 gauge steel
- It features a non – marring top yoke and a pivoting padded foot
- It is adjustable from 28 inches to 43 inches
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- It has a pin with ring to lock it in place.
- It is a pressured mounted door security bar
- It has a secured fit
- It is easy to install and use
- It is easy to assemble
- It works on almost all surfaces
- OnGARD security Door brace, door barricade, prevents home invasion, buglaries and looters, OnGARD withstands up to 3000 ibs of violent force
- The door security bar can be used on concrete and tile floor and should professionally installed for a sturdy set up. It is mounted using a ½ “ high floor plate to hold the door jammer in place.
- The bottom plate is ½ “ in height
- It can withstand up to 3000 ibs of violent force
- It can be self installed under 30 minutes
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- It is made from the strongest plastic material
- It is a hardware mounted door security bar
- It comes with a wood drill bit, 5 screws and Philips head bit driver
- The unique residential door brace prevents violent invasion, stops burglars and looters in their trades
- If your floor is concrete you will need to purchase concrete screws and a concrete drill bit
- Customer pays for return shipping.
Criteria for evaluation
Strength: All the security doors listed above are strong, as that is the main purpose of the security equipment the door stoppers withstand force not less than 350Ibs
Position: The door stoppers above are placed in different positions to suit your need.
Material: The materials used for the construction of the security door stops are durable and high quality.
Q: Why do u need security bars if I already have good door locks?
A: As your keys may be with anyone or anywhere, a door security bar guarantees that when you’re at home only the people you want in would be able to enter, as those even with the keys can’t enter.
Q: How do I prevent my door jammer from sliding on my floor?
A: Make sure that both the foot of the door jammer and the floor are clean from debris. This will create more friction between the surfaces and keep the foot from sliding.
You are now enlightened on what the security door stopper is and the various types, proceed to get yours after putting all the necessary measures in place.
Read more another post BEST HANGING DOOR STOPPERS